Pages

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Trip to Bangalore-Vellore-Chennai-Pondicherry (February, 2016)

When I was doing my internship, I planned for a Goa trip with my old pals from school days. However the plan just stretched up and actually never happened like others. Anyway Sagnik, who is doing his job at Bangalore is getting married in early March of 2016. So I made a personal solo trip - along with some agendas to fulfill. First arrange a bachelor party kind of meet with Sagnik, a V day meet up with my girlfriend who was then at Vellore and meet my younger brother at Chennai; and to make a sight seeing around the cities alongwith.

Making such tour a reality, I have needed few things in right place. First is money and second is time. And third a proper plan to be chalked out. Taking a break from my CCU duties was not a big deal but I was fumbling. One night (umm.. to be specific Jan 29) I just had talk with my friend and my girlfriend regarding their availabilities. If they are stressed with workload my tour has to rescheduled or worst of it - cancel it. Everyone checked, yes, no issue man and I am on. I planned for 11 days of break from my intubation, central lines, CPR and took suggestion from my friend regarding the airline to choose.

Well let me tell you that it would be my maiden flight, and it would be the first time in my family to enjoy on the air journey. I was suggested by Sagnik that Indigo would be great and economical and it is better to buy tickets from their official website. On the night I just booked the return trip to Bengalore to Kolkata and vice versa (10th Feb to 21st Feb).

On the 9th I had 24 hr duty at Barasat, and I returned to my home at around 11:30am. I did not have my baggage ready. I had a bath,filled the backpack with some clothes and left for airport along with my DSLR bag. I took a yellow cab from Barrackpore Chiriamore, the driver fixed it for Rs 500 and drove me to Calcutta airport via Sodepur-Kalyani Expressway-Belgaria-Belgharia Expressway-Airport and dropped me in front of departure gates of airport in less than 1 hour at around 2pm.

I entered in the airport after a brisk security check and queued for the main security check as I did have only hand bag​ and I did the web check in​. It went alright and I entered in the main lounge for departure.

The first flight went just well, thanks to IndiGo. Well, to get best during flight I learnt later, that I need to be on business class; not with the economy tickets. I booked a window side seat for my first air journey with an extra payment, however I found that it was not neccesary as I can choose a window seat by web check in 48 hrs before the journey. (Day 1 - 10-02-2016)


Before my first flight
 
My co-passengers were newly married couple and the lady also had her first flight. On their request I exchanged the seat with her before take off.

The flight reached Bangaluru almost 15 minutes earlier and I called Sagnik to inform that I had reached. I took a taxiforsure cab and started journey to his rented flat at Marathahalli. I was excited and told him - reaching in less than a hour. He smirked.

The next two hours and forty minutes I was in the cab 'enjoying' the infamous traffic jam of Bengaluru city. At last we met beside the petrol pump of Marathahalli on the HAL road. Sagnik's flat was in the locality behind it.

We got ready for the night meals and drinks, as we bought a Whiskey (Dark Moon or something, I just forgot, Okay it was After Dark) and some snacks. Back at his flat, he had a bottle of Absinthe (wiki), which he described as herbal daru from Canada.

As we never heard of fucking absinthe, we just googled it 'how to drink absinthe?'. After some research we found that we don't have a holed spoon but sugar must be burnt and it needs good amount of water. But we did not finish the whole bottle of Absinthe that night, rather we shifted to After Dark whiskey. Absinthe and Whiskey did not suit us, which we understood next morning.

For dinner we have ordered Paradise's biriyani - I found it very dry (and it actually comes with a broth of chicken) and somehow I avoided to be full stomach.



(Day 2 - 11-02-2016) Next day we had woke up late at around 10:30 am and both had bit gastric upset. Freshed up and had plenty of water for detox and then only we felt right for local sightseeing.

As we were near the HAL road, we walked through the road and first visited HAL Aero-museum. The sunlight was bit scorching that time. It is over pretty huge area to show off the machine birds of real models. Thanks to my interest in flying machines, I enjoyed the place.


Indian Airforce Old Fighter Jet at HAL AeroMuseum
 
Then we took a Uber cab to go to MTR. Let me introduce MTR. It's a big brand of Karnataka restrourant chains. It serves only veg meals. We opted for the lunch thali which resembles with traditional Karnataki wedding menu. My fishy Bengali-cuisine habituated tongue welcomed the bath (bhat/rice) items with a warm smile.


Lunch at MTR

After the lunch (a lit' bit late though) we entered Lalbugh Botanical Garden. It's big place full of trees and greenaries. It also shows off the HMT ​Garden ​clock. As Sagnik used to date his fiancĂ©e here he adviced me to take a fast visit - including the flower shade and the rocky zone. From the hill inside he showed me Chinnaswamy Stadium's floodlights, tower of UB City in the vast of the aerial view of the capital of Karnataka.



Bengaluru Skyline from Lalbagh Botanican Garden
 
We visited Lalbagh in a very fast manner and soon we were standing on the road. After the heavy lunch and some walking across the Lalbugh we were bit tired. However as our next stop was Bull Temple, we planned to walk ahead.

In the Basavanagudi, we visited Ramakrishna Mission. Unlike our school campus this is located in proper city, surrounded by high risings. But the inner environment is serine.



That was end of Winter, but sun over Bangalore was scorching and after the walk we were sweating and had to stop for refuel. We opted for juices. Both of us took 2 glasses of Juice.

The Juice Center shows off this:



What I later found out that juice culture is extremely popular in South India - may be due to extreme heat, and excessive humidity.

Continuing our walk we reached to see three places one by another - Dodda Ganesh Temple, Bull Temple and Bugle Rock.



Shree Dodda Ganesh Temple
 
Bugle Rock is a park with staircases for couples and from here we watched the Sun as it sets in. Then we headed to Temples beside. Dodda means big or huge, so a big Ganesha Temple and Bull temple are just near to Bugle Rock. After visiting these we took a cab and went to UB City - a luxrious shopping mall from the house of United Breweries, which eventually owned by Vijay Mallya.

Once again I am not a shopper, just looked into its architecture and all. We stopped here for few minutes and went to buy water at just-beside Petrol Pump, where I first time found fruit water. Then we were back to Koramangala Sony Center crossing, met with some of Sagnik's local but Bengali friends. That was our last stop and soon we were back at Marathahalli at Sagnik's flat.

(Day 03: 12-02-2016) Next day morning I left from his flat, my girlfriend joined me at Koramangala and we checked into the hotel Ocean Inn. We both rested for a while, and then left for Ulsoor lake.



Ulsoor Lake, B'luru 
 
The lake was a nice place, kinda away from metrocity's monotone. Then we just jumped to MG Road for basically no reason. We walked across it under the metro rail corridor.


Traffic at MG Road, B'luru
 
From there we went to Koramangala where we had a dinner session with Sagnik and his bae at Bak Bak Bar. First time I had LIIT (Long Island Iced Tea) - a cocktail served in litre. LIIT contains 5 types of alcoholic drinks - rum, vodka, gin, triple sec and tequila which intogether often called as 5 spirits. It is mixed with fruit juices etc, making a tasty cocktail. It is very smooth to drink and can give you the best euphoric feeling after having 500ml of this cocktail. More than 1 litre must be avoided.

(Day 04: 13-02-2016) Next day was Saraswati Puja, Sagnik was busy at that. We took a visit to old Bangalore along with Bangalore Fort, Gavi Gangadhareswara Temple and Tipu's Summer Palace. In the afternoon we visited 1MG Lido Mall and returned to hotel. At night we had our bachelor's party at Sagnik's flat as Ritam just came from Pune to join us.


Tipu's Summer Palace, B'luru 
 
(Day 05: 14-02-2016) Today we planned for a lunch at Nasi and Mee. It was awesome dining experience as Asian cuisine here is just execellent. Later at afternoon we went to Garuda Mall and then we went to Brigade Road, and stopped at Russh Gastropub with Sanghati and her friends.

Baked Icecream at Nasi&Mee




(Day 06: 15-02-2016) Next day I was headed to Vellore at early morning by bus and after some rest we went to Sripuram Golden Temple at the afternoon.


From B'luru to Vellore

(Day 07: 16-02-2016) In the morning I left Vellore and went to Chennai by bus. From CMBT, I took an AC bus to reach SIPCOT IT Park, Siruseri. I was dropped in front of TCS office. CMI (Chennai Mathematical Institute) was just opposite to it. My brother Ranadeep took care of the formality at the desk and I went to the guest house of CMI. After having some rest, I had a lunch at the canteen of CMI and had dinner at London Grills.


Chennai Skyline from CMI Guesthouse

(Day 08: 17-02-2016) It was basically a rest day. In the evening my brother and me went to AGS Cinemas for Deadpool and then had a lavish dinner at Apple Bees. Post dinner we walked backed to CMI.

(Day 09: 18-02-2016) From CMI we took a bus to reach Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus or CMBT, from there we took another bus to reach Pondicherry/Puducherry. It took around 3 and half hours. From there we headed to Paradise Lodge, as we were recommended about it. The auto driver, seeing two bachelors in a trip, tried to suggest another hotel but we didn't heard to him. Later we found out why he wanted to suggest another hotel. The reason is Paradise Lodge is under Aurovinda Asram and has some strict rules to follow, like no smoking, no drinking and early closure of main door (at 10pm). Not good for bachelors but we saved money by staying here.


Inside Paradise Lodge

Pondicherry Beach

Peaceful Roads! in Pondicherry

After checking in, we went to the adjacent Seagull Hotel and Restaurant (zomato) and had some beer and slept til afternoon. The hotel is government-run and thus despite having excellent location it is not not so good. But for us it served the purpose. 

The favorite time pass in Pondy is to walk or sit along the sea (Beach road). We basically enjoyed the new place by walking across the city. We had a dinner at Hotel Ajantha Sea View on the beach road. While enjoying the sea breeze on the terrace restaurant you can have finger licking food here.

(Day 10: 19-02-2016) We had a breakfast at The Indian Kaffe Express and then checked out from the lodge. We booked an auto for remaining trip. First we went to Serenity Beach and then to Chunnambar Boat House to go to Paradise beach via boat.



Serenity Beach
Serenity Beach is a peaceful beach and you have enjoy your time with drinks & fish items from the local houses. But we are in a hurry, so we left and headed for Chunnambar Boat House. From there we boarded on a motorboat along with other fellow travellers to go Paradise Beach. The motor boat took around 45-60 minutes across the Chunnambar river and dropped in the beach. It is the mohona of the river. 

Paradise Beach
 
The beach has nice sand and you would find enough jhinuk for collection. There is a restaurant over there. After spending 1.5 hours we left from Boat house. Then we reached to Pondicherry Bus Stand. 

There we went to a wine shop, as alcohol at Pondi is pretty cheap (due to being an union territory), and I found that my ATM card is missing. I back-calculated, and it should be Hotel Seagull, where I last used, and probably I did not take it back. We took an auto and reached here. Thankfully it was there. So after some crazy moments, we are again at our calms and felt hungry. As we didn't have much time, we entered into the GMT, near by italian ice cream parlor (zomato). We had ice creams of peculiar flavors to our heart's content and left for busstand. 


Then we took bus and reached CMBT in next 3 to 3.5 hrs. From there my brother left for CMI and I took a bus to B'luru. 

The bus I took was non-AC and why it was recommended, I am telling you. In Chennai it is pretty hot, but as you go near of B'luru you will find very cold. 

20.02.2016: I was dropped at Santinagar bus stand at around 5:30 am and it is very cold. I took an auto to reach Sagnik's flat at Marathahalli and slept. At evening we went for a casual pub hopping session. 

Next day (21.02.2016, Sunday) I left for B'luru airport and landed to Kolkata. From Kolkata airport I reached home via walk-auto-auto-train-walk (costs me Rs 12 excluding train fare as I had monthly). That's the end of the trip! 



  ~~ THE END ~~

1 comment:

Rohan said...

I spent some time on your post, you have shared best information about trip, but if we use alcoholic drink then we have to use Natural Detox Drink For Hangover