Pages

Sunday, July 01, 2018

Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad Z570 and Return to Win7

I have an old lappy - Lenovo Ideapad Z570 bought in 2011. It was on WinXP initially, then moved to Windows 7 for pretty long time - now it got slowed down and I planned for a format as well as an upgrade to Win10.

Win10 is not my choice due to its mobile UI oriented UX but it's the latest one from Microsoft. I installed Win10 - but found that Lenovo officially don't support Win10 on my model.

Win10 is fast, quite faster than Win7 - even the installation is faster.

Anyway main two issues I found with Win10 - and therefore I am now back to Windows 7 with Classic Shell.

1. Drivers are not available officially. I had a broken installation of Nvidia Graphics - but somehow it worked to bring my display resolution to 1366 x 768. The driver of WiFi for Win7 somehow worked.

2. With these troubles, I had another big issue. Win10 had got into Blue Screen error several times and restarted. IRQL_ unexpected_ value is the error code and I found that it's may be due to improper WiFi driver.


Now I am on Windows 7 - it was running since 2013. Post-format I am learning to remind old stuffs.

During installation of Windows 7, I came across an issue - ''Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition'' - while choosing a drive to install Win7.

There are many tweaks over internet and I found that my issue occured because my external HDD was inserted in to USB port of my laptop.

Unknown Device issue under Device Manager:

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller
or, ACPI/VPC2004 Unknown device issue

The solution is easily found in Lenovo forum - head over to : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Microsoft-ACPI-Compliant-Embedded-Controller/td-p/3566604

What I need to do, download a 21.4MB em225w7.exe file which is basically Lenovo Energy Management tool.



Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 - frequent on/off issue:
#unstableinternet #unstablewifi

The issue was there from my previous Win7 installation too. As far as I can remind the issue was started after a driver upgrade by some Driver Updater tool.

Here same problem persists. Tried: keeping the bluetooth off, uninstalling and reinstalling driver - but all failed. Finally I got something weird solution for it: Uninstall the driver and don't delete the driver - the driver will reappear and therefore the issue will be solved. I am right now having no issues so far. Let me check and later will inform.

For last 2 days I don't have WiFi on/off issue.


Avast fucked my desktop - all files, theme, wallpaper changed ! 

Avast is long term partner in my laptop. So I installed it from the offline installer saved in my hard disk. Post install, it was updated and rebooted - my desktop was gone. 

During reboot, I could see this message: 'your desktop is being prepared' and it opened up into default themed desktop - even files on desktop or download folder is hidden. I checked user, its mine but looks like a guest account. Rebooted twice and same shit happened, ultimately fucked the AV shit and it's same again. Is avast pushing sandboxing? Waiting for more details...



Opera

Opera VPN is disabled by default, enable it from Settings → Privacy and Security



Vivaldi - my default browser along with Opera and Firefox.

Extensions - You can directly download from Chrome Web Store. (Note Opera Extensions page does not allow Vivaldi to download from there)

Note: Opera can't download from Chrome Web Store - you need to install - Install Chrome Extensions from Opera add-on store. 

1. AdGuard - my favorite ad blocker extension.

Opera now has its own in built ad blocker - adjust the settings from here.


2. TamperMonkey - 2A. Subscribe to filter list from Github : http://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/#filterlist  2B. Install Userscript from github.com (via : https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer )




3. No Coin - block bitcoin miners!



4. Gmailius - a favorite addon for power users on Gmail.

5. GMail Sender Icons - found it on Labnol.org !



6. Web of Trust (WOT) - informs you whether a site is good or bad.



µTorrent - disable ads/debloat UI

Open µTorrent → Options → Preferences → Advanced
There you will find a huge list of flags for the µTorrent app and a filter box.
Then search for the following flags and disable them:-

OFFERS.LEFT_RAIL_OFFER_ENABLED
GUI.SHOW_PLUS_UPSELL
OFFERS.SPONSORED_TORRENT_OFFER_ENABLED
BT.ENABLE_PULSE
GUI.SHOW_NOTORRENTS_NODE
OFFERS.CONTENT_OFFER_AUTOEXEC

No comments: