If you started drinking alcohols in your teen days and if you are near 30 you can see the difference when you are much drunk. You can't take the over-drinking much these days and oh fuck! that's hangover.
I am 27 right now, and I had started my social drinking at around 19. These days I hate the hangover more.
One of the reason we are facing hangover more because of liver's making two specific enzymes in a lower rate.
Prevention is better than cure:
1. Drink on such a day, you can take rest on the next day.
2. Judicious drinking - I prefer 3 pegs and not more at a go.
3. Drink water in the gaps.
4. Slow the drinking process, take your time. Relax and drink.
5. Don't fucking mix up. One glass of cocktail or one type of cocktail is okay but don't have many types of alcohols. If you mix up beer, whiskey and rum you will be doomed.
6. Slow down alcohol absorption rate in your body by taking water as told already. Remember protein chunks like chicken, beef or pork portions also help by slowing down it. So little bit oily starters do actually help to 'digest' alcohol.
Once you are fucked to have hangover:
1. Rest and take sleep if possible. It's often not possible as you have jobs to do.
2. Water, water and water: Drink water, hydrate your body
3. Fruits or juices: Go for a coconut water at the begining. Among fruits - orange, mushambi, apple, bananas are great.
4. Breakfast - skip or not - I in generally skip it but go for bunch at 11 am around with more fruits, chickens and others.
5. Proteins - Eggs - boiled/omelette or chicken soup can help.
6. Tea - herbal or green tea. I am not a tea lover, but I can tell you one secret - don't go for a coffee - it will further dehydrate you. Next don't drink a tea with milk - it might increase bloating and gastric upset. ( but cold milk is good in hangover unless you have lactose tolerance issue).
7. PPI - Hangover can be worsened with the gastric upset, so PPI can be a help. However I always use the combination of PPI+PKA (Proton pump inhibitors + Prokinetic Agents) in combination. Esomeprazole and Domperidon's combo seems to be best option.