Airtel, country's largest mobile operator has launched 'PLATINUM 3G' services in Kolkata on April 9, 2015. That's third 3G900 commercial launch in India after Airtel did in Mumbai (March 13, 2015) and Idea did in Delhi (March 24, 2015).
Airtel Platinum 3G - Homepage
Main highlights of Airtel Platinum 3G:
- Co-existence of UMTS on 2100MHz and 900MHz - dual carrier aggregation (In Mumbai Airtel has both 2100Mhz and 900Mhz; while in Kolkata Airtel is offering 3G via ICRA with Vodafone's 3G network)
- atleast 30% better indoor coverage
- atleast 25% faster 3G data speed
- atleast 16% less power hungry
Airtel Platinum 3G or Idea's 3G on 900MHz is actually 'UMTS900', which is being deploying for some reasons across the world. In 2007 world's first UMTS900 network was launched in Finland by Elisa.
As of October 23, 2014 GSA report includes 87 commercial UMTS900 networks are live across the globe, in 58 countries. It accounts for 15% of all HSPA operators.
- UMTS900 has better coverage than UMTS2100 as 900MHz is a lower sub-1000MHz band.
- It helps in indoor coverage extension in urban areas, while it helps in cheaper deployment in rural areas.
- With UMTS900 GSM players can offer CDMA-like indoor penetration. (counter act with EVDO Rev A and Rev B)
- UMTS900 can save 50-70% of network deployment costs to operators, incl. both CAPEX and OPEX.